Skip to main content

Volvo 120 Side Cowl and Bulkhead Repair

 Well, the weather has finally caught up with me and I have run out of time to finish that boot (trunk) floor  and spare wheel well repairs before the winter so I have decided to leave it to the spring (see previous post). I have now turned the car around so as to work on the off side issues, including the side cowl, bulkhead, front floor pan and rear inner sill. I have made a start on the cowl.


Another typical amazon rot issue is the side cowl. I think that this is a consequence of all that muck that gets thrown up and trapped behind the front wing, and the notorious leaking windscreen corners. The side cowl is under attack from inside and out.  I had two areas to repair on the offside (having already repaired the nearside some time ago), the  lower quarter, and the join between the cowl, the bulkhead (firewall) and the inner wing. 


To begin, I used a heat gun and a scraper to remove as much of the old underseal as I could, finishing off with some panel wipe. I then marked the areas of the cowl to be replaced and cut out the lower section. 


This is quite a large area but apart from the swagging it shouldn't be that complicated to make. However, as it will join onto the floor which also needs work, and there is some damage to the inner A pillar, I decided to tackle the smaller, upper repair area first. I removed the rotten part of the cowl, leaving the bulk head and inner wing panels in place to use for alignment.



Next I made card template and used it to cut a repair piece from 1mm steel recycled from an old boiler casing (see last post). 


I then refined and shaped this by hammer forming, using a blunt coal chisel to create the pseudo swagging.


Once I was happy with this section, I put it to one side and started on the bulkhead and inner wing corrosion, drilling out relevant spot welds to separate the panels and cutting back to clean metal. This was tricky as some of the angles where too tight for a disc cutter and I had to resort to a hacksaw blade.



I made the bulkhead piece first and welded it into place...


...followed by the inner wing repair.



That was all I had time for on this particular day and I wasn't sure when I would be able to get back on it so I cleaned up the welds and gave it a coat of weld through etch primer.



It was over two weeks before I found a chance to get back into the garage and finish the job. Some additional shaping and refinement of the cowl repair piece was needed to achieve a good fit. It was then welding on and cleaned up with a sanding disc on an angle grinder.



A quick coat of primer and job done. I am not going to claim that the repair is completely 'invisible' because it isn't. Importantly it needs to be strong, and I am trying to be neat, but I don't think I have to be too precious about appearance as this area will be tucked up under the wing, out of sight and ultimately covered in underseal.




On then to the next job, the lower cowl and A pillar.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tooling Up: DIY Sheet Metal Brake

My new 1mm sheet steel has arrived, along with some additional angle and flat bar... but more of that in a moment. Using the refined ply forms , I have now made the boot floor rear edge piece again and I am much happier with it.  Going for the extra gauge steel was definitely the right decision and this new panel feels much more substantial. I have had a full test fitting with all panels, which is looking pretty good. The next issue concerns the rear inner arch to which spare wheel well side and floor is to be attached. There is some rust here and so this will need to be repaired before the really serious welding/reconstruction of the boot floor can begin. Although only a relatively small area, complex curves and profiles need to be created. I realised then that I had need of more fabrication tools. Here then is a description of how I fashioned a DIY sheet metal brake; a means by which I can easily and precisely create folds in sheet metal of up to around 90˚or so. This constructio...

Volvo Amazon Inner wing Repair - Part 2

As indicated in the previous post , the intention was to work on to the rear offside arch next, but the inner arch repair sections still haven't arrived. It seems that they are out of stock with the wholesalers in Sweden, and that there is no indication of when, or even if they will be delivered. I am now beginning too think that I will be lucky to see them before Christmas. Change of plan then. I have re-jigged the garage and I have turned the car round to create space to start on the nearside inner wing. There is also the windscreen corner and battery box to sort out, so this should keep me busy for a while. Just like with the offside repair panel, I noticed that there was a problem with the wing bolt hole alignment, although in this case it appeared to be less pronounced. I judged that it would still necessitate removing of the box section from the rest of the repair panel.  The existing inner wing was in a poorer condition on this side and so I need to replace at least some of ...

Volvo Amazon Speedometer Facia Restoration

Back in May last year I started a process of refurbishing the speedometer unit from my Amazon. The speedometer itself was working fine, it was simply a matter of appearance; just like probably every other Volvo Amazon out there, the grey crackle coating on the facia had deteriorated and was peeling off. Many owners remove the coating completely and simply leave the brass finish, but quite frankly I don't like this look. I took the plunge and experimented with disassembling the binnacle (details in this earlier post ). I can now report that I have finished the task. The first challenge prior to painting the was what to do about the plastic warning lamp lenses (high beam, indicators, oil pressure and charge/amps). I wanted to remove them as I thought they would be difficult to mask effectively.  They are fixed originally by being melted from the back. They also each have a rubber shroud which being 50+ years old and subjected to heat cycles from the lamps, are somewhat discoloured an...