Skip to main content

Volvo Amazon Wheel Tub Repair

I have been working at every opportunity to complete as much of the boot floor repairs as possible whilst I still have some good weather. I am restricted in that my garage isn't that big and to work on the rear of the car, the up and over door needs to be open. I am not sure how far I am going to get with this job before winter really sets in, but I have sorted the rear wheel tub to boot floor repair. Here is a shot of what I started with.


I had also found a smallish hole towards the front edge.


I cut out the rot up to marked lines using a angle grinder/disc cutter and a hacksaw.

We had a bit of a domestic crisis last week when the central heating boiler packed up, just in time for winter! The diagnosis was the control panel and given the age and general condition of the boiler, we decided to replace it. What am I telling you this? Well, it turns out that the old boiler casing is made from 1mm mild steel. That's handy...

After fashioning some card templates (I'm finding Shredded Wheat cereal boxes ideal for this), I cut some pieces from the boiler casing.


To repair the hole in the corner of the wheel tub, I cut a section with an already folded edge, then used my new shrinker stretcher to add a very slight curvature, before welding it in place.


Next I moved onto the larger and considerably more complex main repair. I made a 'nicely' curved section with a lip, but this ultimately proved unsuccessful. The issue is that the fold needs to roll gently over from 90˚ at the foremost edge to no fold at all where it meets the outer tub. When I tried to create this, I lost the shape of the panel completely. In the end I made two separate pieces.

Both these pieces were really awkward to hold in place for welding so overnight I ordered a set of mini butt welding clamps (Amazon Prime). One of these can be seen in place here. 


After cleaning of the welds and a coat of etch primer, here is the finished repair.


This job took me longer that I anticipated, as so often these things do, but I must say that the new tools helped enormously and I am quietly quite pleased with the results. How much more I can do on the boot area before the weather breaks remains too be seen, its already getting wetter and windier. On the plus side, the central heating is working a treat.


< previous post               next post >

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tooling Up: DIY Sheet Metal Brake

My new 1mm sheet steel has arrived, along with some additional angle and flat bar... but more of that in a moment. Using the refined ply forms , I have now made the boot floor rear edge piece again and I am much happier with it.  Going for the extra gauge steel was definitely the right decision and this new panel feels much more substantial. I have had a full test fitting with all panels, which is looking pretty good. The next issue concerns the rear inner arch to which spare wheel well side and floor is to be attached. There is some rust here and so this will need to be repaired before the really serious welding/reconstruction of the boot floor can begin. Although only a relatively small area, complex curves and profiles need to be created. I realised then that I had need of more fabrication tools. Here then is a description of how I fashioned a DIY sheet metal brake; a means by which I can easily and precisely create folds in sheet metal of up to around 90˚or so. This constructio...

Volvo Amazon Inner wing Repair - Part 2

As indicated in the previous post , the intention was to work on to the rear offside arch next, but the inner arch repair sections still haven't arrived. It seems that they are out of stock with the wholesalers in Sweden, and that there is no indication of when, or even if they will be delivered. I am now beginning too think that I will be lucky to see them before Christmas. Change of plan then. I have re-jigged the garage and I have turned the car round to create space to start on the nearside inner wing. There is also the windscreen corner and battery box to sort out, so this should keep me busy for a while. Just like with the offside repair panel, I noticed that there was a problem with the wing bolt hole alignment, although in this case it appeared to be less pronounced. I judged that it would still necessitate removing of the box section from the rest of the repair panel.  The existing inner wing was in a poorer condition on this side and so I need to replace at least some of ...

Volvo Amazon Speedometer Facia Restoration

Back in May last year I started a process of refurbishing the speedometer unit from my Amazon. The speedometer itself was working fine, it was simply a matter of appearance; just like probably every other Volvo Amazon out there, the grey crackle coating on the facia had deteriorated and was peeling off. Many owners remove the coating completely and simply leave the brass finish, but quite frankly I don't like this look. I took the plunge and experimented with disassembling the binnacle (details in this earlier post ). I can now report that I have finished the task. The first challenge prior to painting the was what to do about the plastic warning lamp lenses (high beam, indicators, oil pressure and charge/amps). I wanted to remove them as I thought they would be difficult to mask effectively.  They are fixed originally by being melted from the back. They also each have a rubber shroud which being 50+ years old and subjected to heat cycles from the lamps, are somewhat discoloured an...